Executive Director – Hamad bin Khalifa University
JUN 2022 - Current | Doha, Qatar
Salvino is Executive Director at Hamad bin Khalifa Univeristy (HBKU), part of Qatar Foundation (QF).
Executive Director – Qatar Foundation
MAY 2018 – JUN 2022 | Doha, Qatar
Executive Director of the VP Research, Development & Innovation (RDI) Office in Qatar Foundation (QF). In this role, he oversaw and coordinated the Office team and the 7 centres of QFRDI, aligning their scope and remit, facilitating all workstreams related to effective delivery and concrete implementation of initiatives. QFRDI’s initiatives and projects cover a broad spectrum, from applied research and grants supporting innovation, up to investment funds to scale- up private sector start-ups and companies.
In addition to the VP RDI Office itself, the seven centres that belong to QFRDI are: Qatar Bio Bank (QBB), Qatar Bio-Medical Research Institute (QBRI), Qatar Computing Research Institute (QCRI), Qatar Environment & Energy Research Institute (QEERI), Qatar Genome Program (QGP), Qatar Precision Medicine Institute (QPMI) and Qatar Science & Technology Park (QSTP), incl. its investment funds.
Implementation Director – Qatar Foundation
SEP 2017 – MAY 2018 | Doha, Qatar
As Implementation Director in the Office the the Vice Chairperson and CEO of Qatar Foundation (QF), Salvino was responsible for planning, establishing and launching in full the new national Research, Development and Innovation Council in Qatar and cascading the new governance framework for Research, Development and Innovation across Qatar Foundation, including the definition of the policies and procedures specifically relating to R&D and technology innovation.
Director, Funding & Industry Analysis – Qatar Science & Technology Park (Qatar Foundation)
SEP 2016 – AUG 2017 | Doha, Qatar
Salvino was responsible for the Product Development Fund, a major funding mechanism to support and promote innovation in the Small & Medium Entreprises segment. Salvino also led the industry analysis, and the investment panel as well as managed the portfolio of investments.
Adjunct Professor – Hamad bin Khalifa University
SEP 2017 – JUN 2018 | Doha, Qatar
Salvino taught Theoretical Approaches to Digital Humanities at the master program in Digital Humanities (College of Humanities and Social Sciences).
Manager – Qatar Science & Technology Park (Qatar Foundation)
OCT 2005 – AUG 2016 | Doha, Qatar
1. In charge of the Proof of Concept fund (proposals assessment, investment decisions, portfolio management).
2. Responsible for planning, launching and growing RASAD, a business venture supporting an innovative real time remote monitoring platform for telemedicine, adopted internationally.
3. Assessing, negotiating and signing co-investment in GE Healthcare projects.
4. Negotiating, planning, establishing and implementing the Qatar Mobility Innovations Centre. Then, Board member.
5. Negotiating, planning and supporting the launch of the Williams Formula 1 Technology Center Qatar (an advanced R&D centre of the Williams Formula 1 team).
6. In India, negotiating, planning and supporting the launch of a Qatari branch of the Indian TATA TCE engineering consulting company.
7. Negotiating, planning, establishing and implementing the Qatar Robotic Surgery Center (the first applied research and training centre devoted to robotic surgery and medical digital imaging in the Middle East).
8. Negotiating a joint venture project between the State of Qatar and the Cuban Government to establish the Cuban Hospital in Qatar.
9. As one of the first five employees of QSTP, Salvino was involved in the creation, design, planning and implementation of QSTP.
Manager, Online Value Added Services– Ooredoo (formerly known as Qatar Telecom)
JUN 2003 – OCT 2005 | Doha, Qatar
Salvino led the business programme aiming at building a set of value-added services for broadband and mobile phone users. Salvino was responsible for business strategy, definition of innovative digital products, solutions and services.
Expert Consultant – McKinsey & Co.
JUN 2000 – MAY 2003 | Brussels, Belgium
As an expert consultant, Salvino mostly focused on business building of ICT/internet projects and ventures. His contributions ranged from creating new strategies up to designing the operations accordingly, from establishing the business cases up to detailing and supervising implementation plans.
Experienced Manager – Accenture (formerly known as Andersen Consulting)
NOV 1999 – JUN 2000 | Brussels, Belgium
Salvino worked as an Experienced Manager. He was responsible for managing the Innovation Center, an incubator in Brussels supporting Internet/digital business ventures.
Seven months after joining Andersen Consulting, the Senior Partner who recruited Salvino moved to McKinsey and proposed Salvino to follow him.
Entrepreneur & Consultant
SEP 1993 – MAR 1999
Salvino founded and/or co-managed 3 companies: an online-offline publishing company (WebMarketingTools, Italy), an eBusiness consulting boutique (Italy), and an electricity supplier (SourcePower, Belgium).
Research Assistant – Université de Liège
SEP 1986 – JUN 1993 | Liège, Belgium